We Want YOUR Windows 8 Metro style Apps!
With the Release Preview of Windows 8 coming in June, it's time to get cracking on your apps. If you haven't already, you should download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and the Visual Studio 11 Beta and start working on an app.
If you're already working on an app, you may have heard that at present, you need a token to get access to submit your app to the Windows Store. So how do you get a token? I'll leave the answer to my fellow Microsoftie Jaime Rodriguez:
It’s easy! If your app is ready and you want to be among those developers who get to submit to the store early, simply attend one of the 100s of free Application Excellence Labs that DPE and Windows are holding around the world.
Follow these steps to get invited to an App Excellence lab:
- Create a really great Windows 8 Metro style app (or game) immediately. Get it as ready as if you were submitting to the store.
- If you know your local DPE evangelists (maybe because you attended a Windows camp training), get in touch with them and ask them to nominate your app for a lab.
- If you don’t know your local evangelist, then email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your name
- City & country where you are located
- Brief description for your app (no binary, screenshot is optional, but only send if the screenshot is public, non-confidential stuff )
- Your pledge that you’ve spent at least 8 hours devouring all the great UX guidelines we have at the design section in the Windows Dev Center1
- Wait for our response letting you know where the closest app excellence lab will be and how to get in touch with the right evangelist to nominate you.
[Read the full post over on Jaime's blog]
So there you have it…if you've got an app ready to go, and you're here in Mid-Atlantic, drop me a note, and I'll point you in the right direction to start the process. If you're outside of Mid-Atlantic, start with your local DE, and if you don't know your local DE, email email@example.com, as noted above.