In this issue, I’ve got some great resources for app developers, as well as for user groups:
Build for Both – Maximizing Code Sharing between Windows Store and Windows Phone 8
Lest the XAML developers out there feel left out, I’ve got another great resource from Microsoft Virtual Academy, this time a course called Build Apps for Both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Jump Start by Microsoft’s Ben Riga. Ben compares Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, covers the basics of ViewModels, and MVVM, and discusses strategies for sharing code between these platforms.
- C# Fundamentals – development for absolute beginners
- Visual Basic Fundamentals – development for absolute beginners
- HTML and CSS3 Fundamentals – development for absolute beginners
- Windows Store apps for Absolute Beginners with C#
Definitely some great resources for learning these technologies from the ground up.
User Groups – Get Sponsored by O’Reilly or Pluralsight
Having spent as much time as I have with user groups, I know one thing that’s always important is finding sponsors. So if you’re looking for some great giveaways for your group along with other sponsorship benefits, check out the following sponsorship programs:
Do you know about other sponsorship opportunities for community groups and events? Let me know below in the comments!
Resources for Educators
Are you a teacher or university professor? Well, I’ve got some resources for you as well:
- YouthSpark – highlights many of the resources Microsoft makes available for students, organized by age groups.
- Faculty Resource Center – repository of curriculum resources, including PowerPoint presentations, demos, videos, and more. The new Visual Search is a great way to drill down into what’s available based on criteria such as grade level, resource type, etc.
- There are also some really good resources available at http://microsoft.com/education, including a whole bunch of stuff around Kodu, SmallBasic, Pex4Fun, and more at http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/teachers/Pages/technical_educators.aspx
- And don’t forget Imagine Cup!
Great Video Series for Unity Developers
Last, but not least, if you’re a game developer working with Unity 3D (or want to learn Unity), I found a great video series over on 3dbuzz.com that provides absolute beginners with a nice tour of Unity, and provides a ton of information on the major features of this development tool. If you want to build 3D games, but never thought you’d be able to, you should definitely check this out. If you have any trouble viewing the videos on 3Dbuzz.com, they’ve also posted the series on YouTube.
What Do You Want?
I’m always open to feedback on what my readers want to see. If there are specific topics you’d like to hear more about, drop me a note, or let me know in the comments below.
And if you’re an app developer, don’t forget to sign up for Generation App!